Re: [IP] DM and academic problems

From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] DM and academic problems

I would really appreciate any suggestions about articles about the problems
diabetic adolescents can have with academics

Molly, we just got Cory's 504 plan signed a few weeks ago.  In his plan it
states that diabetes can affect his learning by the highs or lows.  When he
is high or low, he is allowed to wait to take tests or to take them over.  If
he misses instruction while he is in the clinic, his teacher must give him
this instruction when he returns to the classroom.  He is also to be given
extra time on assignments if he was taking care of diabetic needs.  Thus far
the only time this has been used was when he passed out in band class.  He
will be allowed to retake the band test he was doing at that time. We do not
want to use diabetes as an excuse to get extra privileges, but the students
must have accomdations when there is a definite need.