RE: [IP] Re: Silver rot

Katherine Nelson [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> As to what causes it (sorry, no scientific quotes here!), I
> have heard that
> it's a chemical reaction due to some type of skin acid that
> DMers produce,
> but not all DMers produce it.  Just a YMMV thing.

I think it's not a DM thing.  I've known several people who cannot wear
silver and none of them, to my knowledge, is diabetic.  IIRC it isn't the
silver per se, but the nickel that's alloyed with the silver to make
sterling silver (pure silver is too soft to use effectively in jewelry,
etc.) that causes the reaction.  Silver, like gold, is nearly inert.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR