[IP] Re: Silver rot

To all my IP friends,

I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who cannot wear silver.  My
prome example of what prolonged contact with my skin is an old pair of
glasses that had silver in the frames.  The frame edges under the lenses were
pitted and blacked by the time I quit wearing them.  My current frames are
"frameless" variety and the temples are plastic to prevent that problem.  I
am very careful with my selection of watches and make sure I get stainless
steel varieties (Jan -try it on the other wrist).

As to what causes it (sorry, no scientific quotes here!), I have heard that
it's a chemical reaction due to some type of skin acid that DMers produce,
but not all DMers produce it.  Just a YMMV thing.

So, that's the source of my question to Jan.  When I get my silver medal(10
years to go), I, too, will be putting it in a display case, as I wouldn't
want to harm such a wonderful tribute to survivorship.  It's unfortunate that
I live in NM - the turquoise & silver capitol of the world - because I can't
wear any of the wonderful locally created jewelry.  The only turquoise I own
is set in a gold ring and that was custom made.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Katherine Nelson & MyHope (the pump)
dx T2 '86, T1 '96, MM 508 since 5/15/01