Re: [IP] Computer Virus question

On 2 Dec 2001 at 4:38, email @ redacted wrote:

> Hi,
>        I have a question for Sam, George, James or anyone else knowledgeable!
>  Last year I got a brand new computer, brand new e-mail account and signed on
> to Insulin Pumpers, all within a week.  Just a few days later I had a virus
> sent to me!!  I was okay, I didn't open it.  So now I have Norton Anti-Virus
> and I have been updating it weekly.  Can you tell me how it works?  For
> instance, I was sent two viruses this week, but didn't open the attachments.
> But if I had tried to open them, would this anti-virus software have stopped
> me?
>        Thanks.
> Barbara, Mum of Claire 7, who thinks its bad enough just watching out for
> viruses in your children!

The A-V program looks for "patterns" or "indentity tags" in files.  New viruses develop each day, so the definitions need to be updated regularly.  Yes, A-V will stop+ you
from opening an infected file.  I have mine configured to "repair" any suspect file and if it is unable to repair, it goes into 'Quarantine' where it cannot be touched by anything
but A-V.  If it is unique enough, it may be sent to the Symantec labs where they will create a new "definition" from it.

George