Re: [IP] RE: punishment for "bad" behavior

Excellent point on not having emotional reactions.  WHen my daughter was
diagnosed (at 9 months) I asked everyone connected with her care to call them
"Blood checks" rather than "blood tests" since a test conotes an
evaluation... and kids in school are judged as doing well or badly as
determined by tests.  Instead I wanted it called a check so it would be
something that was just checking on the a mount of insulin she was getting,
not something that was evaluating her.

She is almost 14 now, we still use the same terminology, and she (knock on
wood) has yet to rebel and stop doing her blood checks or take care of

The other thing I have done is let it be her responsibility.  The more kids
are in control, the better they behave.  I've never ordered my kids to do
their homework... they know there is an expectation, and they  just do it.
With  diabetes , my daughter knows there is an expectation that she take care
of herself... and that ultimately, if she does not, she feels awful (she
hates being high since she does not like the way she feels and she loves
sports and does not play well when she is high.)  Getting kids to do it for
themselves rather than for mom or dad I think is the best thing.

I guess I"ve been lucky on this front... and now that my duaghter is on the
pump (4 weeks tomorrow) she is feeling SO in control I see a wonderful new
bounce in her step and more smiles and better behavior towards her younger

Good luck!