[IP] Computer Virus question

       I have a question for Sam, George, James or anyone else knowledgeable!
 Last year I got a brand new computer, brand new e-mail account and signed on
to Insulin Pumpers, all within a week.  Just a few days later I had a virus
sent to me!!  I was okay, I didn't open it.  So now I have Norton Anti-Virus
and I have been updating it weekly.  Can you tell me how it works?  For
instance, I was sent two viruses this week, but didn't open the attachments.
But if I had tried to open them, would this anti-virus software have stopped
Barbara, Mum of Claire 7, who thinks its bad enough just watching out for
viruses in your children!