Re: [IP] Donating blood

Susan <email @ redacted> wrote:

> My doctor has forbidden me to donate blood. He said "because the first place
> depleted is the pancreas"

I think your doctor is misinformed.  There is no reason a diabetic in good
control cannot donate blood.  The only constraints currently in force are that
one cannot be using (or have used) beef insulin because of the risk of CJD
(AKA mad cow disease), and re-using syringes (but they're not allowed to

Blood is not stored in the pancreas, nor is the blood supply to the pancreas
constricted with the relatively small loss of volume.  The volume of fluid
lost in blood donation is replenished within hours.

For local rules, call the American Red Cross.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my
wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.