Re: [IP] 1st DKA on pump

Having a high bg with ketones is not quite the same thing as DKA.
High bgs with ketones can very easily *lead* to DKA if quick and
aggressive treatment is not started, but with high bgs with
ketones you're not quite at DKA yet. There are other things that
go along with DKA that don't happen with highs with ketones.
Shannon has had both in the past 4yrs - DKA at dx (thank goodness
the ONLY time she's had it) as well as quite a few high bgs and
moderate or large ketones (esp since being on the pump), and they
are a VERY different ballgame. Although like I said, the highs
with ketones can quickly lead to DKA, within a matter of hours,
so you don't want to waste time correcting it.
It is easier to go from nothing wrong to full DKA on the pump
than it is on MDI, due to the lack of long-acting insulin.

Sylvia said:
I don't mean to sound ignorant or anything but my son has been a
DMer for a relativly short period of time.  So I'm a bit
confused.  I thought when someone was in DKA that they were in
ketoacidosis, usually sick from being very toxic and that this
can be life-threatening.  Is just having ketones the same thing?
I just thought that the use of this term was not appropriate,
based on the information given??

little guy due 3/10/01