[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #742

In a message dated 12/30/00 8:25:10 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Subject: [IP] Insulin Pump Brands >>

We picked an Animas pump for several reasons.  My daughter is recently
diagnosed and is on a small dose, so  we felt from the information we
received that Animas or Diestronic were the best choices since they  pump
frequently even with small doses.  We also preferred a waterproof pump since
my daughter is a diver.  My daughter made the final choice and she preferred
the Animas since she thought it looked more like a pager device than a
medical device.
We have been very happy with the Animas for several reasons.  It is
incredibly durable, something I did not consider when i was choosing, but the
Animas is made out of the same type of plastic as safety helmets.  Diabetes
is pretty frustrating, as is adolescence, and the pump has survived some
pretty punishing moments that I don't even want to discuss.
Animas has CDEs on call 24 hours a day.  This was so helpful for us, since we
were new to both pumping and diabetes.  They have been great and very
Finally, with the puberty stuff and growth hormones, my daughter's basals are
all over the place.  We are using 3 for the 4 basal programs and will
probably need the 4th when spring sports start.
Good luck!  We are so glad we made the move.