Re: [IP] Yellow Spot As Hypo Symptom

In a message dated 12/29/00 10:57:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:06:35 -0500, Jan Hughey wrote:
 When I took my BG at 8:30 a.m. today I was 103. When I signed in at 10:00 I
 >had my *yellow spot* in my vision indicating a plunge. I was 53.
 I'm beginning to wonder if the yellow spot is a symptom that is peculiar to
 long term diabetics. Never before have I seen it described as a hypo
 symptom, but I too have been observing it as a pretty reliable symptom for
 quite a few years. Of course I didn't keep track of the first time I noticed
 In my case it doesn't always appear in the same place in my field of vision,
 it's semi-transparent and circular, seems to float slowly, and probably
 occupies no more than 5% of the field of vision. I haven't checked to find
 out whether it's visible in each eye alone, because it's more important to
 treat the symptom, and as soon as it's treated it goes away.
 I'd be very interested if anyone else has observed the "yellow spot" as a
 symptom of hypoglycemia. FWIW I'll let Jan take the credit for naming this
 symptom >>
         Tom I have also seen the yellow spot. I have always though it was
the body's defense as my Hypo awareness is long gone. I would guess it is the
retina not receiving glucose to work. I must also add that I find after 8
months on a pump my awareness is improving.  Roger C