Re: [IP] 1st DKA on pump

At 11:51 PM 12/29/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>The pump indicated that I had 17 units left in the reservoir but it was
>empty and when I removed the syringe from the pump I could get only a couple
>of drops out of it. Apparently I had missed 4 or 5 hours of basal but at 0.4
>units/hr the pump was not able to yet detect the problem. But my body
>obviously was.

This is one of the reasons that MiniMed advises us to change the
reservoir/set before we hit the 20 unit remaining mark.  With relatively
low basal rates the pump doesn't detect an empty reservoir or any other no
delivery situation too well; it takes too long for the threshold amount of
pressure to build up.  My basal is 0.3 most of the day and I very seldom
get a warning.

This is not to say that any of the other pumps do it better.  I kind of
doubt it.  But I've only had experience with MiniMed.

My pump doesn't tell me how much is left in the reservoir.  I have to check
it for myself.  Do you have the 508?