Re: [IP] Re: Cure in 5 years?

>Coincidentally, at work I met a new employee in
>a nearby department.  He offered me a piece of
>cake, that was being given to customers.  I
>turned it down saying that 'with a pump I can
>eat most things, if I can figure out the carbs.
>Being diabetic I've never really gotten a taste
>for a lot of sugar.'  He said 'Oh, you're
>diabetic, I thought they've just about cured
>that.'  He wasn't joking!

Unfortunately this has been true a few times over the years.  The last was
this fall when the UNiversity of Alberta obtained a 60% success rate in
transplanting  doner islets into the liver.  Although most news reports
made it clear that only 60% of the patients were "cured" and they required
intensive anti-imune durgs; that the procedure would never be practical
since it required two pancreas doners per recipient.

Notwithstanding, I received half a dozen calls from friends to say they
were glad a cure had ben finally found.  I wonderrr how many people in the
general population now feel a cure has been found.  The news made a big
deal of it and sensationalized it because it was a "canadian cure".

A little off topic:  As i now introduce the pump to friends. most can't
understand why I still have ot test and watch dietary content.  Even a few
docs i've run into think it's an artificial pancreas.  Too much Star Trek!!!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 3 weeks + thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!