Re: [IP] Re: Schools and coaches

> Her advisor told us that if
> we don't do this, her basketball career at the school is finished
> for good.  You have hit on all the issues.  They need to know more
> about diabetes management and they need to understand that she needs
> some flexibility on the practice policy.  They also want them to
> understand how unintentionally cruel their behavior has been, and
> how it flies in the face of the school's mission and values of
> "valuing diversity and individual differences".  I will also point
> out that the athletic program is more important to our daughter
> because she is diabetic.

Try educating the coach -- I know that Lily's coach for soccer when
she was a freshman in HS was reluctant to have her play and
intimidated by her condition. In addition to chatting with him, I
provided a copy of the "Letter to Teachers and Coaches" that's on the
kids page of the web site. A a freshman JV player and the following
years as a varsity player she has been voted First Team All League on
two occassions (this is out of hundreds of kids in the league) and is
considered the most valuable defensive player on the team by her
coach. He will routinely pull her out of a game if she signals that
there is a problem (doesn't happen often) and is patient when she
cannot start because of hi/low bg's. This all took a little time
but he realized fairly quickly that she was as good or better than
most of the other players and just needed a little flexibility.

Feel free to use Lily as a reference. She will be playing NCAA
college soccer next year and is currently being recruited for he
SKILLS, not her medical problems.

Be patient and try to educate the coach. If he doesn't cooperate then