Re: [IP] Kids' Brochure

First, thanks to everyone who has responded so far to my question
about the booklet. I really appreciate every bit of feedback. I'm glad
to be reminded that "Why me?" is a really common question. (And
also one I can't answer. But I think that this question is partly code
for "Is this my fault?" -- a question that I *can* answer.)  Also, I
think that focussing on the present ("you can feel better now") is
going to have to be a large part of the booklet. Thinking about the
future is hard; it's much easier to be motivated by the here and now.

Liz Davis wrote:
>I like your answer; it's the question I have a problem with.  My experience
>as a young kid with diabetes was that as soon as an adult offered up an
>unsolicited comment on something that wouldn't or didn't have to happen to
>me, even though I had diabetes, I usually figured they were just trying to
>comfort me and it would.  Especially if it wasn't something I was worried
>about.  Otherwise, why would they mention it in the first place, since it
>wasn't going to affect me?  It seemed to me like evasive tapdancing.
>I guess my point is that this question does need to be answered honestly,
>but maybe only if it's asked.

I'm going to have to think a lot about this. One problem I'm dealing
with is that I don't know which of the many misconceptions about
diabetes the child or parents may have heard. If they haven't heard one,
am I just adding a new fear by saying "You may have heard X -- but
it's not true"? I have to anticipate the questions they may be asking and
the fears that they may be feeling. Some of this I know from my own
experience, but since I was diagnosed as an adult, it's been different
for me than for people diagnosed as kids. That's one reason that your
input is really valuable.

We had a focus group of kids that was mainly aimed at getting ideas
about the art style so that we could make the booklet visually appealing.
I did ask the kids a few questions about illness and comfort, one of
which was "If your doctor told you that you had a serious disease,
what would you want to know?" They all said that they'd want to know
if they were going to die. The funny thing about that question is that
it's based on the stereotype of the doctor saying "you have 6 months
to live." As we know, they rarely say anything so definite. I think
that I can answer the "will I die" question honestly, but a little less
directly. Maybe that's the way I should go.

/Janet Lafler