Re: [IP] Re: Schools and coaches

   Someday ( but probably not today) your daughter WILL thank you for being
her advocate. In the interim, tell her to picture a little girl in the
elementary school with diabetes, who one day may not have to face such
misinformed coaches, thanks to what your family is doing. Melissa revels in
knowing that the three children now in her tiny elementary school are under
such good care because of the fact that when she was the only one there 8 yrs
ago, the school nurse came to the children's hospital to visit her & we
encouraged her to be as well-versed as possible in handling Melissa's care at
   I applaud your efforts, even though I'm sure your stomach will be in knots
by the 7th!! The tricky part of parenting a child with an insidious illness
such as diabetes in which our kids "look perfectly normal" & hence are often
"forgotten about" when it comes to accomodating special needs- is that you
risk the administrators thinking you're making a big deal out of nothing,
when in reality, it IS potentially a "big deal" IF things are ineptly
regards, Renee (Melissa's pump mom)