Re: [IP] Re: Schools and coaches

Thanks for responding to our problem with the coaches.  I know we are doing
the right thing by going on record as not liking their attitude and treatment
of our daughter.  Her advisor told us that if we don't do this, her
basketball career at the school is finished for good.  You have hit on all
the issues.  They need to know more about diabetes management and they need
to understand that she needs some flexibility on the practice policy.  They
also want them to understand how unintentionally cruel their behavior has
been, and how it flies in the face of the school's mission and values of
"valuing diversity and individual differences".  I will also point out that
the athletic program is more important to our daughter because she is
diabetic.  We are not parents who simply want their kid to get more playing
time.  Being active is a big part of the strategy to delay complications.  I
know they will question whether our daughter is managing her diabetes as well
as she can be (as if they could evaluate that), and they will point out that
she could make more effort.  I will acknowledge that my kid is not perfect,
and can always do better.  But I know for a fact that there are plenty of
other girls who make the same amount of effort but because they are not
diabetic, and always have perfect bgs, they make it to more practices.  But
they don't play any better!  Thank God she can play well and adds value to
the team.  Basically, we are just asking for a little compassion.  They give
more play time to girls who make it to fewer practices, and who aren't
diabetic!  These coaches are known for playing favorites; I was warned about
them in September, and sure enough....I think they are spooked about the
diabetes.  Too bad, cuz our kid is good, enjoys the sport a lot, and needs it
for her health.  I dread this meeting on Jan 7, but at least my husband and I
will do it together (without our daughter who is mortified that we are making
a stink).  She has the same coach in the spring for softball.  Ugh.