Re: [IP] Re: 50-yr award

In a message dated 12/27/00 1:04:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 >>It's been a very long time since they began giving medals but am I correct
 in remembering that it used to be a gold medal for 50 years and a bronze for
 40 or 45 years?  I guess when they began, fewer people with DM survived 50
 years with it.  With better control and more 50 year survivors, they found
 it necessary to cut  back.  John Kinsley>>
 I never heard that, but I did inform my identical twin friends of the 50-yr
 medal back in 1985 (they'd been giving them only about 10 yrs then) and they
 received a bronze - first identical twins to ever receive the 50-yr medal(s).
 From what I knew at that time, there could be no complications at 25 yrs,
 therefore, I did not qualify for that certificate; that qualification has
 since been dropped. The 50-yr. medal was issued if you remained warm and
 breathing. I qualify. (~_^)
 Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C 3/99) >>
        John Jan is correct, in 1972 I asked about the 25 year medal and was
told I did not have the criteria for it. I had joined the first eye study on
laser for stopping loss of eye sight in Diabetics. I must admit I was mad but
also embarrassed that I could not make the 25 year mark without a modest
amount of extra capillaries on my Retina. I should have asked them why they
only did one eye (which now has my only cataract). To the best of my memory
the only 50 year medal was bronze. Three years ago there were 50-60 50+ year
people at the Joslin annual meeting. I saw only bronze medals. Roger C
(dx12/1/47 pm 5/8/00 hockey puck still in tow)