[IP] Re: Friends and Family & DM Cure

the thing about diabetes not being a death sentence is
true for some, not for others.  The statistics say 1/3
of all T1's will have a serious complication at some
point in their life, and that 40% will have 15 years
of life cut off.  DM kills 160,000+ people per year.
We know what we have to do to try to prevent our
demise, and it's good to see several T1's on this list
who have been D for 60+ years, very comforting.
However, the more we diabetics yell about how normal
all of this is and how wonderfully "normal" our lives
can be, non-D people quit listening and quit helping
to fund research.  Therein lies a problem.  Even if
only 6,000 people per year died directly from D. or 6
people, that is too many.  We need a cure.  Like it or
not, a cure takes major $$$ and also a sympathy plea.
I don't like the implication either, "oh, poor
diabetic," but if it helps get me a cure; I can deal
with it.

DM Cure:
There probably isn't a conspiracy to not cure D by
manufacturers of D. supplies, but they help to fuel a
trend toward better treatment vs. big cure.  Every
time there is a big advance in treatment announced, D.
becomes less and less serious in the general public's
mind.  These companies do very little to stop this.
They also constantly tell us D's that they give a
portion of profits to D. research.  Check out the real
story.  Many times it is treatment-focused research
they donate to, not cure-focused research.  So, they
essentially donate back to their own industry.  They
are less helpful than we think.

jill-
T1 25 yrs, pumping 6 years.
--- insulin-pumpers-digest <email @ redacted>