[IP] Re: Friends and family

I'm in complete agreement with you on this. I have never lied to
my daughter about her disease and don't intend to either. If she
asks me something about it, I tell her (just what she wants to
know, and no more.) She is old enough to understand that diabetes
is a serious disease. I want her to have hope, but not false
hope. Realistic hope. I don't want her to think that all she has
to do is exactly what we ask and everything will be perfectly
fine and dandy. But at the same time, I don't want her to develop
an attitude of "I'm just going to get complications and die from
it anyway, no matter what I do, so what's the point of trying to
have tight control?" We parents have to walk a fine line and
tread very carefully so as not to send the wrong message (in
either direction.) Not an easy thing to do! :)

Like I said in a post a couple of days ago, I'm glad you all
share the feelings, etc that you had as children. It helps me
immensely (more than you'll ever know) to avoid making those same
mistakes with my daughter. I'm sure other parents feel the same

Darrin said:
I wasn't aiming at your posting.  PLease keep the hope and the
faith but as I said in the prior posting:  Please don't make
these kids today feel like they "failed" when they are diagnosed
with a complication.  So don;t plant the seeds for that by using
definites like "Good bg control *will prevent* complications".
This is unhealthy.  I know.  My first reaction in 1992 was to
assume I was a total failure since I had done everyhting and more
to keep good bg control and still got complications anyway.  Now
I know it was differnetn and am just plain angry at being lied to
as a 9 yr old.  no kid deserves being lied to.

little guy due 3/10/01