Re: [IP] Re: Friends and family

I wasn't aiming at your posting.  PLease keep the hope and the faith but as
I said in the prior posting:  Please don't make these kids today feel like
they "failed" when they are diagnosed with a complication.  So don;t plant
the seeds for that by using definites like "Good bg control *will prevent*
complications".  This is unhealthy.  I know.  My first reaction in 1992 was
to assume I was a total failure since I had done everyhting and more to
keep good bg control and still got complications anyway.  Now I know it was
differnetn and am just plain angry at being lied to as a 9 yr old.  no kid
deserves being lied to.

>These things you mention are not what I was saying, nor what I
>meant (not even remotely.) I never said (or implied) any of that.
>I don't know how else to explain myself any better than I already
>have. Obviously my point has been missed. As I said, I know what
>the complications are and know they are very real. I don't deny
>that nor do I ignore that (nor have I ever.) I have a LOT of
>compassion and empathy for my daughter, as I do for all DM'ers,
>and give her all the support she needs, whenever she needs it (I
>validate her feelings and don't minimize the fact that D just
>plain sucks sometimes. It's not easy and I don't pretend that it
>is.) I don't tell her to just suck it up and be happy that she's
>alive, or that things could be worse, or that it's not so bad. I
>*never* would, either. Just like I don't like hearing doom and
>gloom talk where my daughter is concerned, I don't like hearing
>that stuff from people either (and we've heard lots of things,
>from both sides.) I wouldn't want to deal with what she has to
>deal with at her age (10, dx'd at 6) and I wish she didn't have
>to. But I also don't let it ruin my life - I can't (why? because
>it's here to stay until a cure comes along, and I can't change
>it), and I hope she doesn't let it ruin her life either. You
>said, "Diabetes will kill us all. (barring a truck of course)."
>Maybe so, but I can't let that thought eat me up every second of
>the day or I will live my life far too depressed to ever enjoy
>it. Nor will I be of any use to anyone. I have a family to take
>care of - my kids need me, and my daughter especially needs me.
>All I can do is accept what life has given, do the best I can at
>dealing with it to get through each day (and for me, that is
>trying to remain positive and hopeful for a cure and do all I can
>humanly do to attain that), as well as teaching others about D,
>and not spend all my time worrying about things I can't control
>(100%) or prevent. I would rather put all that energy towards
>more positive things (like advocating for a cure) than directing
>it inward and letting it depress/destroy me. I try to be positive
>in my day to day dealings with D (this does not mean being in
>denial) but at the same time, also have a realistic view of the
>possibilities. We all deal with this differently. This is just
>how I choose to deal with it.
>Darrin said:
>I think that it is not anyone gets offended nor is overly
>pesimistic but many long-termers, like me entering my 4th decade
>of D, are very sensitive to hearing anything which remotely
>sounds like "have hope, it's not so bad and a cure is only a few
>years away".  [end to long rambling sentence].
>(some snipped)
>So i really hate to hear anyone further the lie that "good
>control and good lifestyle will prevent complications".  Sorry
>but simply a lie.  A big lie. Diabetes will kill us all.
>(barring a truck of course).
> [...]

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 3 weeks + thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!