Re: [IP] Re: Friends and family

This thread (good control will prevent complications) has had me thinking
about my grandmother.

She'd had "a little sugar" ever since I "met" her in 1948. She "watched what
she ate" by putting Sacharrin (sp!) on her cereal and in her tea and she
drank Tab after it came out. She substituted "ice milk" for ice cream. Since
fried everything, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits and gravy, Chinese
food, cornbread, etc., did not have sugar in them, you could eat all of that
you wanted.

She checked her sugar by peeing on a piece of paper. She never took orals or

She complained a little bit -- but not much -- about not wanting the covers
on her feet. (neuropathy?) She was tired a lot and fell asleep easily.

Granny died peacefully in her sleep in 1996. At the age of 98 1/2. Minus one
toe. Her eyes, heart, kidneys -- everything else -- were fine.

I think it's not only a matter of reducing the risk of complications (nobody
can promise you will be complication-free) by maintaining tight control: I
think genetics also play a role.

Not that I'm taking any chances: i'm on tight control. No complications yet,
<knock wood> 16 years after DX (and, since I'm type 2, I don't know how long
I'd had it then).

Jan and Elvis