[IP] Re: Friends and family

These things you mention are not what I was saying, nor what I
meant (not even remotely.) I never said (or implied) any of that.
I don't know how else to explain myself any better than I already
have. Obviously my point has been missed. As I said, I know what
the complications are and know they are very real. I don't deny
that nor do I ignore that (nor have I ever.) I have a LOT of
compassion and empathy for my daughter, as I do for all DM'ers,
and give her all the support she needs, whenever she needs it (I
validate her feelings and don't minimize the fact that D just
plain sucks sometimes. It's not easy and I don't pretend that it
is.) I don't tell her to just suck it up and be happy that she's
alive, or that things could be worse, or that it's not so bad. I
*never* would, either. Just like I don't like hearing doom and
gloom talk where my daughter is concerned, I don't like hearing
that stuff from people either (and we've heard lots of things,
from both sides.) I wouldn't want to deal with what she has to
deal with at her age (10, dx'd at 6) and I wish she didn't have
to. But I also don't let it ruin my life - I can't (why? because
it's here to stay until a cure comes along, and I can't change
it), and I hope she doesn't let it ruin her life either. You
said, "Diabetes will kill us all. (barring a truck of course)."
Maybe so, but I can't let that thought eat me up every second of
the day or I will live my life far too depressed to ever enjoy
it. Nor will I be of any use to anyone. I have a family to take
care of - my kids need me, and my daughter especially needs me.
All I can do is accept what life has given, do the best I can at
dealing with it to get through each day (and for me, that is
trying to remain positive and hopeful for a cure and do all I can
humanly do to attain that), as well as teaching others about D,
and not spend all my time worrying about things I can't control
(100%) or prevent. I would rather put all that energy towards
more positive things (like advocating for a cure) than directing
it inward and letting it depress/destroy me. I try to be positive
in my day to day dealings with D (this does not mean being in
denial) but at the same time, also have a realistic view of the
possibilities. We all deal with this differently. This is just
how I choose to deal with it.

Darrin said:
I think that it is not anyone gets offended nor is overly
pesimistic but many long-termers, like me entering my 4th decade
of D, are very sensitive to hearing anything which remotely
sounds like "have hope, it's not so bad and a cure is only a few
years away".  [end to long rambling sentence].
(some snipped)
So i really hate to hear anyone further the lie that "good
control and good lifestyle will prevent complications".  Sorry
but simply a lie.  A big lie. Diabetes will kill us all.
(barring a truck of course).

little guy due 3/10/01