Re: [IP] Re: Friends and family

>I hope I haven't offended anyone with my take on this. I think we
>have to strike a balance between a positive
>attitude towards life with D and being realistic about the

I think that it is not anyone gets offended nor is overly pesimistic but
many long-termers, like me entering my 4th decade of D, are very sensitive
to hearing anything which remotely sounds like "have hope, it's not so bad
and a cure is only a few years away".  [end to long rambling sentence].

It's just as a poster said a few months ago (as I can remember it):

"As a kid I was taken to the dyalisis wards and shown what would happen to
me if I didn't keep good control... ...I thought those diabetics looked and
sounded bitter and that it was this poor attitude which contributed to
their current conditoin and probaly their entire lack of effort earlier
on... ...Now many decades later, I know this was not true.  Those poor
people were probably bitter because they had done everything they could
have to prevent complications and yet they still ended up in the dyalisis

So i really hate to hear anyone further the lie that "good control and good
lifestyle will prevent complications".  Sorry but simply a lie.  A big lie.
Diabetes will kill us all.  (barring a truck of course).

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 3 weeks + thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!