Re: [IP] Re: Friends and family

I'm well aware of that fact and was not dismissing or ignoring
it. I just don't dwell on it and live my life thinking my
daughter could die at any moment because of D (*any* of us could
die at any moment, D or not. Surely we are not so arrogant to
believe otherwise.) What good does it do? All I/we can do is our
best to manage this disease with the tools we have available and
advocate/teach the rest of the world about it til there is a
cure. The rest is out of our hands. I just don't appreciate
people acting as if my daughter is going to drop dead *any
moment* from diabetes and pity her, as if her life is hopeless
because of D. I think that will only give her the message that
she shouldn't try to do or be anything because she's going to die
anyway (aren't we all going to die anyway? Why let that stop us
from living our lives?) How do we know she won't outlive all of
us with few complications or get hit by a car and die tomorrow
(ie: die of something totally unrelated to D)? We don't. That was
my point. Diabetes can shorten your life, just like anything
else. It isn't the *only* thing that can shorten your life
though. Just because you have D doesn't mean IT will be what
shortens your life.

What I was trying to say is not the same thing as the "It's not
so bad" attitude that you mentioned. I wish my daughter didn't
have this disease. If I could take her place, I would, in a
skinny minute. I don't say things could be worse because that
just sounds like a pissing contest (ie: who has it the worst.)
There are lots of things that are just as bad as D. I just refuse
to view my daughter as having one foot in the grave already just
because she has D. I do teach everyone I can about this disease
and do not downplay the devastation of the possible
complications. But I also don't walk around with a doom and gloom
attitude. That doesn't do any good either. In fact, it turns
people off.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my take on this. I think we
have to strike a balance between a positive
attitude towards life with D and being realistic about the

Lindsey said:
However, let's not forget how diabetes immediately puts its
victims in a category that reduces their average life by about 15
years.  This is a fact.  I have seen diabetes RUIN my
sister-in-laws life; and by the age of tender age of 32.  Yes,
she took good care of herself.  It happened anyway.

little guy due 3/10/01