Re: [IP] Re: Friends and family

Hi Michelle,
I think that the tide has swung from treating diabetic kids as invalids
(don't do this, don't do that), to viewing diabetic kids as not having as big
a problem as they really do have.  My diabetic 42 year old sister in law
marvels at what my daughter does at her diabetic camps; repelling off
mountain sides and taking 5 mile overnight wilderness hikes vs. the more
traditional, tame camping stuff.  She also can't believe the way daughter
pigs out on almost anything she wants vs. the highly restricted, scheduled
programs she was subjected to in the 50s, 60s and 70s.  A lot of times when
people hear that my daughter is diabetic, they will say "What strides have
been made in that field!"  True, the management is better and the kids aren't
singled out and told they can't do anything, but it still is so hard being
diabetic.  The problem is that the public is misinformed.  If people only
knew how heroic most diabetics are, that they work their arses off on their
own behalf, that they suffer without being martyrs, then diabetics would be
better appreciated, supported and more of an effort would be made to cure
this damn disease.  I respect you for your pride and desire to be a full,
able bodied person in this competitive society of ours.