[IP] Re: Friends and family

Amen! When my 10yo daughter was dx'd 4yrs ago, I *refused* to see
it as a death sentence (and it *really* drives me nuts to hear
other D parents - or anyone else for that matter - talking about
it as if it were. Same goes for other diseases. I have a friend
who has Lupus and she is absolutely SURE that she will die from
it. I don't know how she knows that for sure. Seems to me that
there are lots of other possibilities besides the Lupus.) Anyway,
I remember when my parents came up to visit us that same year
(just 1mo after dx)...my mom acted like my daughter's life was
over because of the D, and treated her accordingly (pity, etc). I
asked her why she thought Shannon was going to die of diabetes.
She just assumed that it would be the D that would kill her (I
guess that automatically cancels out all other possibilities?)
Well, I'm sure of one thing (painful as it is to think about.) My
daughter WILL die some day (just like the rest of us.) But that
doesn't necessarily mean she will die of diabetes (it IS one more
thing that COULD kill her but like everything else, it won't
necessarily BE what kills her. Possibility doesn't equal
probability.) The two don't have to go hand in hand (she has just
as much of a chance of dying from some other cause, even just
plain old natural causes. Just because the D is there doesn't
mean it will automatically contribute to her death.) There are no
guarantees in life - any of us could die tomorrow (and it might
not have anything at all to do with D.) Just because my daughter
has D doesn't mean she will go first either. I can't look at her
and think she is going to die before my other kids - or even
myself - just because she has D, so therefore I need to spend
more time with her than my other kids while I have the
opportunity. One of my other kids could die before her (God
forbid) and then I would feel *really* guilty for putting all my
focus on her simply because she has D. Life is definitely made
more interesting because of the D and all it throws at us, but
like you said, that's about it. :)

Michelle said:
Being diabetic does not give you a death sentence.  Maybe, just
maybe, a few more trials, but that's about it.

little guy due 3/10/01