Re: [IP] Re: Is all this really necessary and problems w/school coachs

We experienced the "is all this really necessary" attitude last year at our
daughter's school.  Her advisor brought her into his office and said she
would connect better as a new 8th grade student if she wouldn't talk so much
about her diabetes.  He said that the diabetic student in the 9th grade
didn't constantly fiddle with meters and shots. He also pointed out that
plenty of people have problems, but they don't talk about them and wear them
on their sleeve like she does.
Being the confident young lady she is, she explained that he was confusing
behavior with talking.  She explained that she must test and adjust insulin a
couple of times during the day.  This is what he sees her doing.  This is
different from attention grabbing, excessive talking.  YOU try being a new
girl in the 8th grade!  As for the student who keeps a super low profile on
her diabetes, she wasn't on tight control, and will most likely pay a price
for this later in life.  I think she added that if her parents and medical
team were on top of things, this other student would be taking more than 2
shots a day and not cruising at 200 bgs.
The advisor pressed on, and didn't let up, making his points. Finally, my
daughter broke down in tears and went home.  The other teachers in the school
supported us, and agreed that the guy was way out of line.  He is not at the
school this year.  My daughter ended up "fitting in" and is socially
installed at the school just fine.

This year, we have the opposite problem with the JV basketball coach.  The
policy is that if you miss one or more practices during the week, you can't
play that week''s game.  Our daughter is going through a bad time with bgs
right now (viruses, period cramps, hormones) and has missed a few practices
because of it. In a selective implementation of the policy, her coach doesn't
let her play.  Our daughter is more than a decent player (5'11", was often
the starter on her old school's team), probably could move her butt more than
she does, but there are plenty of other girls who miss practice occasionally,
and aren't nearly as good as she is; and THEY get to play.  My husband and I
have a meeting in January with the 2 coaches, the athletic director and her
advisor this year (who can't stand the coaches because they play favorites
all the time).  The director (who is sympathetic) has suggested that we
didn't emphasize enough, to the coaches, how difficult the daily diabetic
routine is.  I thought we did at the beginning of the season in a meeting.
Because of her diabetes, I don't believe the practice policy should apply to
her in the same way.  My husband and I know the coaches are really unfair
with her.  Could they be spooked by the diabetes?  The really annoying part
is that this is an expensive private school with a school mission, vision and
philosophy of "nurturing the individual and valuing diversity" blah blah
blah.  Any strategies?  All ideas welcome.