[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IP] DM cure?

I know you weren't talking to me, but good point. In my other
note I lumped all diabetics together in that 16 million figure. I
was assuming (which I shouldn't have) that when the cure is
found, a cure would be found for both T1 and T2 (and all the
other ones in between). But that isn't necessarily so. I still
stand by the rest of what I said though (that not everyone will
be able to get it right away, etc.) 
Something else to consider (keep in mind this is POST-cure). Say
you are newly dx'd with diabetes but due to waiting lists, etc,
you can't get the cure for another month or two. You would have
to be able to sustain your life somehow in the interim, unless
they can give you the cure immediately upon dx (which could
happen in some areas, but in other areas it may not be possible.)
So I still see a need for DM supplies even once the cure is
found, for this reason AND for the reason that there may not be a
cure for T1 and T2 at the same time.
The next step after the cure is, of course, to be able to do DNA
therapy so no one will *ever* get DM. But I suspect that will be
even longer in coming than the cure (hopefully not too long) due
to the ethical issues that will surely be raised surrounding gene

Interesting discussion! 

Jan and Elvis said:
Well, the cure that's coming seems to be for type 1s. Only about
10 percent of people with diabetes are type 1. The remaining 90
percent also use insulin, test strips, glucose meters, pumps,
etc. -- and also oral 

What are your thoughts on *that*? :-)

Take care, Kerri, alulitsuti (mother of many children) & the
little guy due 3/10/01 
"There is a special magic and holiness about the girl and woman.
They are the bringers of life to the people, and the teachers of
the little children." - Sweet Medicine, Cheyenne
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
send a DONATION http://www.Insulin-Pumpers.org/donate.shtml