Re: [IP] DM cure?

I doubt it. Many of these companies make other products in
addition to diabetes products so they will not go out of
business. Surely some will (if there are any who *only* make
diabetes supplies) unless they expand/change their product line,
of course. There will still be a need for their products for some
time, even after the cure is found. The reason I believe this is
that not everyone is going to be able to get the cure right away
when it is finally available (it: those without insurance can't
afford it, those with insurance may not be able to get the cost
of receiving the cure covered or covered enough, etc. That is,
unless the cure is offered free - what are the odds of that
happening though [it *should* be]?) Since there are said to be 16
million diabetics worldwide, I don't see all of them rushing out
to receive the cure all at once but even if they did, it seems
like there is probably going to be a waiting list of sorts when
it finally gets here. I see the same problems with the closed
loop system, so not everyone will be able to get that when it is
finally available (and not everyone is going to want it [even
now, not everyone wants to pump.] Hard to imagine, but there are
people who are perfectly happy with MDI and will probably remain
on MDI til there is a cure.)
I don't mean to sound like the Grinch...just the realist in me
coming out.

Jan G.
I have always wondered about when and if they do find a cure for
Diabetes, will all the medical supply companies (that make
insulin, test strips, glucose meters, pumps, etc.) go out of
business? My thoughts are that maybe this is why the cure is so
slow in coming, because perhaps these companies are the hold
back. Once a cure for D is found, they will be out of work. Just
my thoughts.
little guy due 3/10/01