[IP] Re: Friends & Family

I wrote:
>>. No one cares to hear
about you; you are going to die sooner than other people anyway so you might
as well just face it." >>

Michelle wrote:
>>>As far as the dying thing goes, my mother even came up with that one once.
As my mom and some friends were talking about my diabetes and "how I should
take care of it", the most maddening thing came out of her mouth.  She looked
at her friends and said, "You just don't know what it's like to watch your
daughter die!".  I love my mom and she has been great over the last couple of
years, but you can rest assured I set her straight on that one.
Being diabetic does not give you a death sentence.  Maybe, just maybe, a few
more trials, but that's about it.
Thank you all for letting me ramble on about a lot of nothing.  It may not
make a lot of sense sometimes, but it does make me feel better knowing there
are people out there like me.>>>

I don't know how old you were at dx, but as a kid when the *death* thingy is
fed to you often as well as subtly, you believe it. It colors your whole
outlook on your future. I knew I'd be dead at an old age, so I picked 35!!!
LOL   I've been married longer than that! Kids depend on their family for love
and care; my home was split when my father left and I was 6 mos. old. It was 5
yrs. until I met another young DMer and until that time I thought I was the
only one in the world - then I knew there were two. I, too, appreciate knowing
there is a vast, although separated, amount of others out there who have grown
up with this and are still out there. It used to be another thing that I felt
I fell through the cracks - Type 1 but old. People my age get Type 2 so that
is the focus for education. Mag. articles were either for DM kids or T-2s.

Happy new Millenium 01/01/01!!!