[IP] Friends and family

. No one cares to hear
about you; you are going to die sooner than other people anyway so you might
as well just face it."

I know exactly how you feel.  I insist on my friends and family knowing about
my diabetes and what to do in case of an emergency.  If they don't like it,
then they are not my friends and I don't really care to be around people who
I cannot depend on in an emergency.

As far as the dying thing goes, my mother even came up with that one once.
As my mom and some friends were talking about my diabetes and "how I should
take care of it", the most maddening thing came out of her mouth.  She looked
at her friends and said, "You just don't know what it's like to watch your
daughter die!".  I love my mom and she has been great over the last couple of
years, but you can rest assured I set her straight on that one.

Being diabetic does not give you a death sentence.  Maybe, just maybe, a few
more trials, but that's about it.

I don't know where I would be in life right now if it weren't for my
diabetes, but I do know that I have learned a lot of things about myself
because of it.  My control isn't as great as I would like it to be, but I see
it getting better since the pump and I'm looking forward to starting the new
year out as a pumper.

Thank you all for letting me ramble on about a lot of nothing.  It may not
make a lot of sense sometimes, but it does make me feel better knowing there
are people out there like me.

Happy New Year all

Michelle Tilton
Pumping 12/1/00