Re: [IP] RE: Supportive Spouses or lack of

>Darrin Parker wrote:
>> I've heard this crappy phrase since i was daig at age 9 in 1973 and
>> for the first time in 20+ years finally believe there will be  a
>> near-perfect control within another 15 years!  Now, to last until
>> then... ...any suggestions?
>> Merry Xmas!
>> Pumping for 3 weeks + thanks to the support of wonderful internet
>> friends! In 5 days on the pump I obtained better control than I had
>> done in 27 years of MDI!
>
>Keep on Pumping, Darrin!   And maybe help others to succeed at
>pumping also.  Funny, since 1964, I always thought it would be
>within the next 10 years.  Still got to believe that will come true;
>One Day!

George & all,

Watching the advances of the past year in genetic manipulation; I now for
teh first time in my life see a realistic chance at a "cure" within 15
years - based on my est. of trials and govt approvals etc.  As for the
intermn; form what I know it seems that the closed loop pump should be
available within 5-9 years.

My own estimates but for me to be optimistic about these things is saying a
lot more than I can in words.

Of course; the trouble with the closed-loop pump is that it can adjust for
current highs and lows but there is still no way to guage the body's
responce to initial dietary reactions nor the effects of exeercise.  But
still;  if a closed-loop pump could at least display current bg's that's
not only one less piece of machinery to carry and deal with but allows for
quicker reaction time for us to highs and lows.  Also it would at least
esnure an automatic increase in dosage for highs and automatic decrease for
lows.  So just the assurance of at least keeping bg's between 50 and 200
100% of time would be a light year ahead of current pumping let alone the
poor people still on meal plans and one injection per day!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!