Re: [IP] Supportive Spouses or lack of --elder care

In a message dated 12/23/00 10:44:29 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I have NO one who would

be able to knowledgeably be there if I needed it!    <snip>

I'm not too worried for the immediate future, but when I get old, and

perhaps disabled, I'm in for BIG trouble!>>

OK, there are a lot of parents on this list who really are impressive in
terms of what they know and their ability to deal with both the everyday and
the extraordinary.  And just what are you all going to do with all this
knowledge when your children become independent, huh?  Anyone thought of
going into elder care?

I do have a husband, and grown children who presumably would take an
interest.  But I listened to a nursing home unit head nurse (an LPN) making
fun of a non-elderly diabetic patient who was insisting he get a set amount
of carbohydrate in his meal to match his injection, and I don't think I
really convinced her that what he was saying made sense, that just not eating
sugar was not enough. (He did not stay there.)  I heard other nurses blaming
a young woman who had lost both legs from diabetes and was blind and on
dialysis for causing her own problems (they did not know her history,
diabetes complications just proved fault to them)-- one of these nurses was
morbidly obese and had a very strong family history of diabetes, but she
didn't consider herself in any way responsible for eating sensibly or being
more active.  (The young woman died some weeks later.  Then they blamed her
for giving up and leaving a young son.)  These were not people I would expect
to be able to keep me alive, much less healthy, if they were in charge of my
insulin.  These incidents were in a very well regarded (and horrendously
expensive) nursing home -- I have not seen any other place where I would
expect the care to be that much better.  And they actually were very nice
people, who I am sure perceived themselves to be helpful and caring.

It is something I, too, worry about.

Linda Z