[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #723

In a message dated 12/21/00 4:27:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Subject: [IP] 6th article in the diabetes series (lots on JDRF)
BS"D

Hi all:
I haven't been around for a while because the JDA (Jewish Diabetes
Association) was putting together it's pre Chanukah meeting, which was a
smashing success.
Dr. Robin Goland from the Naomi Berrie, DC spoke beautifully which followed
with questions and answers.  Julie Reed Miller from MiniMed then gave a
demonstration.  I am pleased to say that we have over 50 pumpers, must of
them in the last year and our youngest aged 8.  This is one of the beautiful
outcome of support.
This is a bit lengthy, but please bare with me.  I am diabetic for 15 yrs.
this week.  14 1/2 of those years I am running a support group which grew in
to an entire org.  My great grandfather had type 1, passed away at quite an
old age for those times, hardly had any insulin in his life & had relatively
few complications when he passed on.  My maternal uncle, his grandson was
also type 1.  Never knew the beauty of HBGM and only 2 shots a day.  When he
died, from Cancer, not diabetes, the only complication he had was some pains
in his legs.  He didn't even know that that was Nueropothy.  I am in contact
with well over 300 type 1 diabetics throughout the country and the world and
know only a handful with any type of complication and less than that with
serious complications.  Those that do have serious complications have
definitely not been in good control.  Most of the diabetics that I know to
have serious complications are type 2's.  The reason I am talking about all
this is WHY DO WE HAVE TO CONSTANTLY HEAR ABOUT THE FACT THAT DIABETES IS A
MAJOR CAUSE OF DEATH, BLINDNESS, KIDNEY DISEASE ETC...... I know that there
is a great need for money for research and no one wants to see a cure more
than I do.  The fact is that UNCONTROLLED DIABETES CAUSES COMPLICATIONS.
Yes, it is true that it can happen to even someone that is in good control
since there is a genetic makeup that factors in.  Hey you know?  One can also
get killed crossing the street or riding a plane or even walking down the
stairs in their own home.
One talks about mood swings and depression.  I happen to be a pretty
emotional person and truth be told I was exactly the same way before was
diagnosed with diabetes.  Of course BG's can play havoc with feelings and
emotions, so can many other things.  Fact is life is tough and diabetes is
not the end of the world and if parents of children with diabetes, or adult
diabetics themselves want to think that every year that goes by in the life
of a diabetic is another year of harm done, I feel pretty bad for them.  I'd
rather thank G-D for what I have today and know that what I'll have tomorrow
is up to HIM, and all I can do is pray and do good deeds.
On that note, Michael keep up the good work.  There is a donation in the mail
from our org., and from myself.  We have gained a lot from IP and think that
everyone should do their best to send in at least something.
Let's try and be a little positive.  Maybe we can change some really bad
misconceptions about diabetes.  A Rabbi (Spiritual Director) came to speak
for our boys and young men at our Chanukah meeting and thought that he was
coming to address a bunch of sick kids.  He was shocked when he walked in and
saw a room full of healthy kids.  Hey let's turn this around!  Sorry this is
so long, at least it's all about diabetes.
Nechama Cohen
Ex. Director
Jewish Diabetes Association