Re: [IP] argghhhhhh

I've never really had a problem with arrogant doctors because I view that
kind of situation as a challenge and then I come alive!! When you have a
smile on your face and a twinkle in your eye I think its kind of disarming
from the doc's viewpoint. I agree it can be very, very irritating, but you
can turn it round by viewing it in this way and also simply by being
well-informed about the condition. And at the end of the day, vote with your
feet if you are not happy and change to another doc,.

I only discovered the internet quite recently and it has been a revelation
for me! I find now that I can educate myself about my diabetes instead of
relying on an 'expert'. No doctor (during 32 years of diabetes) had ever
mentioned the pump to me and I had always been told that carbohydrate
counting was old-fashioned and not really necessary at all. Being at the end
of my tether, I recollected vaguely having seen a pump somewhere and
researched it on the net - mostly through the other parts of this website. I
then literally told my consultant that was what I wanted to do (he was far
from enthusiastic) and I am having to fund it myself. BUT I feel now that I
am in control of the situation and I feel marvellous about it. So I think
that self-education is really important as part of countering the arrogance
of the medics - I don't think it is intended on their part but we need to
stand up and not let them away with it!!!