[IP] thyroid overactivity

 > A more permanent solution, and the treatment of choice, is to destroy a
 > portion of the thyroid with radioactive iodine. Often times, the patient
 > will become hypothyroid after this and will go on Synthroid (or eq.)
sorry this is late but i got behind in digests.
I have a question.
Does radioactive iodine always destroy part of the thyroid? [no not always
if the dose is high enuf it will]
I took radioactive iodine twice for a scan years before i have had
hypothyroid. I wonder if that could have destroyed part of it and eventually
caused the hypothyroid? [they give you Lugol's iodine first to block the
absorption by the thyroid no]
I was thinking all diabetics eventually get this and it is a diabetic thing
but maybe not. [no, but it is a very common co morbidity]
Where would i go to look stuff like this up? [Entrez PubMed]

Spot answers in brackets.
A Bender, M. D.