[IP] Type 2 diabetes and coma

If someone is truely in "diabetic coma" they have a
condition called hyperosmolar hyperglycemic non-ketotic coma
and are usually Type 2. >>
It is my understanding that somebody does not go into hyperosmolar etc.
unless his or her BGs are dangerously high -- and have been for awhile. So
insulin would, indeed, be indicated in this case. Right? Or were you just
explaining the differences among the various definitions? (I first read this
as saying a type 2 in a diabetic coma would not need insulin.)

Hyperosmolar non-ketotic diabetic coma is a condition which can occur with
little warning. in older maturity onset diabetics. the solute load in the
blood keeps increasing and the patient becomes dehydrated trying to get rid
of the glucose. the sodium goes down and stupor results. there is enough
insulin around so that ketosis and acidosis do not occur. While not as
dangerous as DKA, people do die in this state. Some IV fluids will correct
the condition if given slowly over a long period of time patients do well.
Insulin will help to lower the blood sugar and reverse the hyperosmolarity
of the blood. Heart failure and brain damage are complications if
correction is too vigorous. Spot.
A Bender, M. D.