Re: [IP] fat question

On 22 Dec 2000, at 9:05, email @ redacted wrote:

> Kevin had potato chips for snack lastnight...LOTS...like about 50 carbs & 11
> grams fat worth, 5 servings (he's a growing boy!) We bolused normally...4
> hours into it he spiked. My husband thought that if the fat was to play a
> factor it would slow the absorbtion of the carbs, I thought that maybe the
> fat kicked in later when the bolus was gone? Either way, we were up during
> the night bolusing him back down!

This is something I'm learning how to handle too.  I eat a fairly high-
fat diet and find that they're tough to get right with my square
waves.  I'm getting better at it, but still have a ways to go before I
get it completely nailed down.

when I've had a large pasta meal with cream sauce & lots of
cheese, I have to square for 5-6 hours, depending on my activity
levels.  I never feel comfortable (so far) square waving that long, so I
usually have to do a second bolus about an hour after the 3-4 hour
square wave finishes.  I'm just cautious that way.  Ok, I'm a
scaredy-cat. :-)