Re: [IP] RE: diabetic coma

In a message dated 12/21/00 11:45:57 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< >>I blame a lot of that on television doctor shows.. where
 they find the
 diabetic passed out and exclaim "He's in a diabetic
 coma...Quick...He needs
 his insulin shot!"<<
 If someone is truely in "diabetic coma" they have a
 condition called hyperosmolar hyperglycemic non-ketotic coma
 and are usually Type 2. >>

It is my understanding that somebody does not go into hyperosmolar etc.
unless his or her BGs are dangerously high -- and have been for awhile. So
insulin would, indeed, be indicated in this case. Right? Or were you just
explaining the differences among the various definitions? (I first read this
as saying a type 2 in a diabetic coma would not need insulin.)

Jan and Elvis