[IP] RE: diabetic coma

James said:

>>I blame a lot of that on television doctor shows.. where
they find the
diabetic passed out and exclaim "He's in a diabetic
coma...Quick...He needs
his insulin shot!"<<

If someone is truely in "diabetic coma" they have a
condition called hyperosmolar hyperglycemic non-ketotic coma
and are usually Type 2. If they have DKA with coma, usually
Type1, then they do need insulin (and fluid). It is insulin
shock that needs glucose (sugar).
Glucose in the coma situations is not likely to make the
coma worse, but we all know that insulin in the shock
situation will make it worse.

You are all correct that it is confusing to many people.

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE