[IP] doctors and anger

Subject: Re: [IP] anger and doctors -- a project
I've been at this doc thing for over 27 years. I am not angry at the old
style of DM; only that to this day there are no endos in NS that endorce
the pump and certainly very few, if any, which have heard of carb counting
nor intensive MDI. I learned all I know; incl. getting the pump and
starting myself on it form the net.
What creates anger?
#1. Doctors blaming and passing judgemnt on me and others for simply "not
working hard enough". ie: refusing to accpet that some highs just happen
- - it's always the patient... ....I am tired of being called a liar. [Docs
feel that they are men or women of science and refuse to accept as we say
in the vernacular thatShi++ happens]
#2. doctors refusing to have an open mind and try anything they have not
encountered before. [doctors never seem to learn that the patient is right,
the book is wrong]
#3. Doctors not offering much useful advice and having no knowledge of
modern DM. [ To most docs DM is an amorphous disease that is not well
understood but it appears simple to them, ya know no insulin, sugars go up
etc everyone knows the rest]
#4. This takes us back to #1.
If they refuse to learn; how do we educate them? I was litterally kicked
out of an endos office for even considering the pump. Either I was to do
it his way or not at all. The current endo has told me "I will fail on the
pump and that all his other patients have failed on the pump" as well[
Chiefly because he didn't know squat about pumps and pumping].
I have met a few open-minded docs but unfortunaetly they are not endos nor
GPs.[ they are often more resistant to learning than less trained docs] [
G-d forbid that a mere patient might know more about thier illness than
doctors do]
Darrin Parker
A Bender, M. D.