[IP] Re: ketosis

Starvation ketosis is when you have enough insulin on board but
not enough glucose (like if you've been sick and unable to eat
much or fasting recently.) The solution is to eat more food so
your body doesn't break down your fat to feed the cells. The IV?
- probably to avoid dehydration and maybe to flush out/dilute the
ketones (maybe to prevent acidosis although I think that only
happens when the bg is high with ketones.)

Alecia said:
What exactly is "starvation ketosis".  I know my BGs
are seeming more normal for the past few days, but my
ketones are rising.  My doctor mentioned an I.V., how
would that help? Thanks

little guy due 3/10/01