[IP] Xenical

I was wondering if anyone on the list has ever taken any of the diet drugs
like xenical(sp?) ? I have been very unhappy with my weight for a while but
it hit me really hard this weekend when a nurse friend of mine sent me a
picture from the past summer. I have felt terrible ever since. I am going
to ask my doctor when I see him to at least let me try it and see if it
works. Just wondering if anyone had any input for me. Thanks so much.
My wife always is on my case to prescribe this drug for her which she
doesn't need. She also asks her pcp and dermatologist etc for this or
Meridia. Xenical is a drug Orlestat which blocks fat absorption in the
small intestine. It is given to stop fat absorption from the intestine. As
such, the undigested fat  often comes out of the rectum as an oily
malodorous liquid sometimes all by itself. So you probably would not want
that to happen. it also interferes with oil soluble vitamin absorption as
well. Meridia is an anorectic agent which makes you sick to your stomach
when you think about food. It is related to amphetamine and raisers blood
pressure. I would never prescribe either of these drugs for a diabetic
patient. What many of us lose sight  of is "a meal plan"  with enough
calories to maintain weight but not to gain weight. the number of calories
is significant folks. The more calories the more fat, this can induce
insulin resistance and feeling slothful. Spot
A Bender, M. D.