Re: [IP] A1c's

Thanks Natalie!

I don't spend a lot of time obsessing about it (there's only so
much I can do, after all, and everyone's diabetes is different so
you really can't compare) and realize it's not an exact science
either. There are lots of variables that affect it. It's just
embarrassing to send bgs to the dr once a month, who says they
are outstanding and that we're knocking ourselves out, then to
have the A1C come in and it's higher than either of us expected.
I always feel like he must think we fudge numbers or something!
:) It's even worse when the dr says (as he has a couple of times
over the past year), "We should be able to do better than this on
the pump." **OUCH!** (He blames *himself* for it though, saying
*he* should be more on top of things!!! And *I* feel responsible
since the daily management is all in *my* hands. We're learning
this together so I don't think it's *either* of our "faults"
really...it's just part of the learning curve.) I set goals and
try to be diligent about making sure my daughter boluses when
she's supposed to (and she homeschools so you'd think that would
be easy) - it's just a LOT of work to still get the same (or
higher) A1C's as we did on MDI. I learned a long time ago not to
compare A1C's with others, but it's hard not to compare my
daughter's own A1C's between MDI and pumping. I'm not expecting
any miracles or overnight success with pumping (never have) but
pumping *should* improve the A1C's (and we're starting to see
that, finally. The hard work is starting to pay off.) I'm glad I
got on this list *before* we ever started pumping because I feel
it prepared me well and I was not as shocked as I would've been
otherwise (with the A1C's going up instead of down.) :)

Natalie said:
Well, A1c's are not as precise as we've been lead to believe.
(sone snipped)
With that in mind, just try for the best YOU can do, and never
compare numbers with anyone else, and don't believe the charts,
(some snipped)
On the other hand, if YOU'RE doing your best, and are pretty
certain the numbers are reasonably good at all times, there's
really not anything else you can do, and you shouldn't get TOO
worked up about it -- just be
sure you're checking at a lot of different times, and correcting
appropriately when necessary. You have to preserve your OWN
sanity, and both of you have to live your lives, too!
little guy due 3/10/01