Re: [IP] Site Longevity in Pumping Kids/Teens

You're definitely NOT alone! We don't have too many problems with
site longevity (usually get 3 days) but we DO have the problem of
the A1C going up after pumping rather than down (it's finally
coming down now though.) Anyway...you said you were mixing
insulins - have you tried adding a little more regular to the
humalog mix to see if that helps? We do roughly 250u H and 50u R
(that's obviously not exact since the cartridge holds 315u, but
you get the idea about proportions. We fill it about 3/4 of the
way to the 1 mark with R and the rest is H.)
One other thing...what's really frustrating for ME is that I
average the bgs, etc and they'll look pretty decent, but then
when we do the A1C, it is not where the numbers say it should be.
Frustrating (esp after all the work I put into the management. It
would be nice to see better results)!!! I guess maybe we are just
catching a lot of in-range numbers and missing some high ones.
Well actually, a lot of our problem is also Shannon's grazing and
either not bolusing often enough and/or forgetting to bolus
(we're working on that one and she has improved a lot!)
After all you've been through with pumping, my hat's off to you
for being so determined to make it work. You're doing great! Keep
on pumping! :)

Sylvia said:
(some snipped)
Here I was thinking we were the only ones experiencing this type
of 'syndrom'.  Josh, 9 yo, has GREAT numbers for about one day on
a site then it seems like we are bolusing big amounts the next
couple of days to keep his numbers down somewhat.  I thought
maybe I was doing something wrong!
So this is something that others of you out there are
experiencing with your kids...WHEW!!!!!
(Some snipped)
I mean I get so excited about good numbers but then boom, they go
away.  I really get discouraged when I read how people on the
pump for a few weeks or a couple of months and they end up with
perfect numbers and perfect or better A1C's.  VERY discouraging
for me. I'm glad that I am not alone.  THANK YOU ladies for
sharing your similar problems/concerns.

little guy due 3/10/01