[IP] Re: what's a BASH?- kinda long

> By the way, what is all this talk about BASH?
> Michelle Tilton

When I was born the words my mom said were: "She'll never live to see the year
2000." There is no other IDDM in my family. To hear a LOT more about this,
visit my website so I won't take it up here. But, with verrrrrrry little
family support (as the attendees at my BASH will tell you only my son and his
dtr came), I figured I had to throw myself a big party celebrating LIFE AND
SURVIVAL (NOT DM) for my 50th anniversary of my diagnosis. BASH = Bawling,
Amazement, Sincerity, Humor. I cried all day on my 49th anniv. and planned
this event for a whole year, if not longer.

I have a friend who, along with her identical twin, have had IDDM 66 years.
They got the Joslin 50-yr bronze medal (1st id twins to receive it) and a
write-up in the newspaper. A lady called my friend to yell at her for
celebrating something her boyfriend died from. I settled in my mind that
people marry with the intent it lasting *forever.* Some end in divorce, some
due to early death of one or both. Those who make it 50 yrs celebrate. I
celebrated. I could NOT have handled the significance of that weekend without
that event. It was very therapeutic. Mom didn't/wouldn't come (20 miles) and
father (2225 mi) sent a 50th wed. anniv. card (our 40th also) written over
with a *40* in ball point and NO mention of my survival. Fifteen people and a
dog from the 'net came - about 90 in all. Very good, lasting memories. I'd do
it over.  I put together a booklet (40 pgs) of my diary at dx, update,
recipes, poems, testimonials, symptoms of hypo/hyperglycemia, pictures,
articles of and about DM. Eight of the pages are devoted to our 40 years of

When the news article comes out, I will post the URL. (~_^)