[IP] Doctor speak my own experiences

 >What kind of doctor would give a diagnosis of "euthyroid"
 >anyway?? Why not just use regular language, instead of

Don't you just want to shake them? But it's my experience
from dealing with doctors at work (I'm a medical writer) that
many of them just can't help talking that way. Not all, of course.
Some people, including some doctors, just aren't very verbal.
They have trouble putting words together, so they speak in
formulas and jargon.
 >I'm in a funk - about thyroid, pumping, etc. Nora had an
 >HbA1C yesterday - the first since starting pumping a month
 >ago. Although its only been a month, her bgs have been really
 >great. A lot better than on MDI, more stable, many more in her
 >target range, although we still get the occasional highs and lows.
 >Her first post-pump A1C was HIGHER than her pre-pump. (8.5
 >vs 8.4%) GRRRRRR.
So what, this isn't going to straighten out in a month or three. The higher
numbers indicate that she is not having a lot of lows which can be a
problem when starting to pump.
Don't despair! My first post-pump a1c was slightly higher than
the last one I had, too -- but neither I nor my doctor has any doubt
that pumping will eventually bring down my numbers. Two things
to think about:
The a1c is an average. It doesn't know the difference between
having blood sugar hovering around 153 all day, and bouncing
around between 42 and 306. You say that Nora's numbers are
more stable, and that's great, but it might not show up in the a1c
until her blood sugars are lower *on average*.
And remember, the a1c measures average blood sugar over time
As for doctor speak: Most doctors have little time to learn about social
interactions when in college, the chief locus for learning how to
communicate with others they are busy trying to get all A's to get into Med
School. They become technicrats. Ask them about the last book they read for
pleasure, they don't read for pleasure. Medicine is a tough profession.
Life long study is the price for pursuing this profession. Socialization
except with other docs is rare and uncomfortable. Being the butt of remarks
and comments, usually negative is the rule. There are still a lot of Gender
Issues in Medicine, Female docs are still denegrated by male docs. Sexual
abuse of nurses is common as is verbal abuse. Getting Diabetes early in my
training made me a more sympathetic person and a better listener. I still
hate it to this day but in a way it made me a better doc. Euthyroid says it
all but in technospeak. it wouldn't have hurt to say you are euthyroid that
means yer thyroid is working normally. Spot and christine
A Bender, M. D.