[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #708

From: Michael <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Help! Crazy numbers and only 36-48

> > Advice appreciated!  Thanks in advance to anyone
willing to read
> > this and offer suggestions.
> <snip>
> After 6+ years of checking Lily (now 17) in the
middle of the night,
> I too can only add that her numbers are
unpredictible. Usually they
> are ok, but often enough to keep me checking, she
will be
> unexplainably high or low. It has gotten better this
year as she
> appears to have stopped growing (for now?). Her
schedule and sports
> activities appear to affect bg's, but I've never
been able to pin
> down how, not even close. I guess there are just to
many variables.
> Her life is much easier than it was pre-pump, but it
is still a bit
> of a battle. What I have noticed is that if she has
several 'vanilla'
> days in a row with only moderate and routine
activities, AND doesn't
> eat too late then her bg's are usually very
predictible at night.
> Unfortunately, this is not her life style. .....
ahhh but what a life
> :-) these kids have now a days.
> Michael
> email @ redacted
I just wanted to say that my 10 year old son has been
pumping since July and although he likes being more
independant and having a more flexible lifestyle, his
bgs have not been all that great and I've been a
little disappointed and not a little bewildered.  I
kind of thought I was failing him, not doing something
right... so it's good to know that it (maybe) isn't
me, but just the nature of the beast (diabetes).  I'm
hoping that when we get the D-Tron in January, we can
spot trends better (it's supposed to have infra-red
computer downloadability but not sure when the
software for that will come out).  Michael also only
gets about 48 out of his sites before the highs appear
with consistancy.  I'm also hoping that the ultraflex
will help in that respect.  The CDE told us that the
sites don't last very long because he is very young
and his body is trying to heal over the cannula,
hindering absorbtion.  I don't know if this is true,
we've never had an alarm except for a low battery
alarm but I guess the insulin could be getting through
the tubing but not absorbing into his tissue for that
reason.  In all, the pump is less than what I'd hoped
for but still better than MDI.  And, yes, my husband
still checks him at midnight and I still check him
between 2-3a.m.  It doesn't make any sense to me
either.  Last night he was 111 at midnight, then later
around 2ish he was 108, and at 7a.m. he was 99.
Perfect #s but just the night before he was in the
high 200s, my husband gave him insulin at midnight.
When I checked later, he was still high and I gave him
another unit and by 7a.m. he was still high, at 303!
Go figure.  I just know that I'm not a pancreas and
sometimes I just get tired of trying to pretend that I
am and try to make sense of nonsensical numbers. Sorry
if this letter isn't as upbeat as some would like but
sometimes, it's just better to tell the truth, admit
to the bewilderment and feel better afterwards.  I'm
still trying my best and so is our entire family.
There isn't any blame to cast...we're just trying our
best, trying to get it right.

mom to Michael, dxd 4/95
> send a DONATION

End of insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #708