[IP] Re: backpack pump

In a message dated 12/15/00 3:15:17 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> MiniMed FedExed a pic to me of the first backpack pump so I could display it
> on my BASH memorabilia table. It was '63 and the man who designed it is
> wearing it - name was Kadesh from Elkhart, Indiana. It was infused near his
> wrist and delivered insulin and glucagon. An item that required bed rest.
> And
> some people think the pumps of today are too large to be connected to 24/7!

Oh this reminds me, in the 80's a couple of times I was on a monster size
pump that had one iv in one arm delivering insulin and one iv in the other
arm testing my blood sugar.  The first time I was on it was to see what
insulin i needed.  My endo at the time told me it said that I needed 26 units
of U and that it would never change for the rest of my life.  The 2nd time i
had it on was during back surgery to keep me normal while it was going on and
the next day too.  It was twice as big as my computer monitor.  Not something
to use for home but just while in the hospital.  I knew someone who was
connected to it for 2 child births and loved it.
Glad the huge thing is a thing of the past.  It was nice not to have to do
finger pricks while connected though.

type 1 diagnosed 9-81
new pumper!!
started 8-21-2000