[IP] Stess

Response to:
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:07:13 -0800
From: "First Presbyterian Church of Tekamah" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] re:stress and bg's

       I am an attorney on the pump for about 1 1/2 years.  As I mentioned
here once before, I have noticed a huge difference in my blood sugars during
the week and on the weekend.  I don't consider my job incredibly stressful,
but that is the only factor that would account for the huge disparity between
weekdays and weekends.
       I also notice that I get unexplicable highs and lows on the pump.  For
example, last night I crashed for no discernable reason.  I've just learned
to take it in stride, though, and not give in to the tempation to alter my
basal rates after one or two days of weird numbers.  My blood sugars are so
much better overall on the pump.  I may be kind of "brittle" now, but that
doesn't hold a candle to how lousy my control was before the pump!
       Another plus for the pump is that even if your numbers are whacky, you
can get them into check relatively quickly with the humalog and the pump.  I
think that the trick is to test-  A LOT.  Then you can see where your sugars
are going, and adjust accordingly.